Resources

Thursday, October 21, 2010

When Will it Freeze?

It's so funny how women I know are watching for the first frost. Both said women have greenhouses. I too, watch for it for the bees as we have lost our queen again and they need one to survive the winter, so our window to help them is very narrow right now. We are treating them for mites with Apistan, which is what you use in the colder temps. I counted 3 mites in the trap yesterday. We consolidated the hive boxes and since the larvae were all hatched out, we took out our full-sized box and now we're down to dadants, which is a relief. I scraped out the bits of honey and pollen in two large frames and put it in shallow bowls in a feeder box on top of the hive so today when it warms up they will "rob" it.

After the frost I can harvest my amaranth seed. I checked on how to do this on Dan Jason's web site. I have some wacky nematodal marigolds that are just about to bloom. Will they do so before the frost? Of course they've had frost in Saskatchewan a good month ago. We are so lucky. On Friday the rain is supposed to come again. I suppose I should try to head up to UBC Farm today to save a few seeds.

No comments: