Resources

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Good Food Day

I finally made it out to UBC Farm again today for their last market. I bought some greens and some honey crisp apples from a farm in Summerland. I took lots of photos of the pumpkins and squash and was wishing I had a car to haul some home.

Later, I was talking to a staff person at Trafalgars and was impressed that they have a staff CSA with Cherry Lane Farm in Richmond who is supplying some of their produce. That is way cool. It just makes so much sense.

Today J gave us a canning workshop with her new pressure cooker and she made some amazing baked beans. There was lots left over so we get to eat some for dinner. Yay! She served us rooibus chai and salmon she had canned herself with her own dill pickles. She is the canning queen. I am so impressed. Photos to follow. I also liked the way she made notes about the process, breaking down the cost of ingredients and the capacity of the canner.

Ules has been watching Good Eats DVDs with Alton Brown. He's actually great for this age group because of his wacky presentation and obsession with the science and history of food. He's also good for the students to watch so they can get some ideas for producing their own cooking show.

I wish all of you a good food day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My 5-year-old son is addicted to Good Eats! He loves to shout "good eats" when the logo pops up.

For more pressure cooker inspiration, try this website. It will let you use your pressure cooker for more things than canning!!!

hippressurecooking.com