Resources

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Peppermint Bark

I admit that I used to hate mint combined with chocolate, but now I like it, especially at Christmas. I find white chocolate marries particularly well with peppermint. We are giving away bags of goodies this year and so we decided to make a mixed white and dark chocolate bark. I happened to find a box of organic candy canes (hello?!) and organic peppermint flavoring. The chocolate was Baker's because we are on a budget, but for a treat the dark chocolate was 70 per cent cocoa solids. I'm sorry, I decided not to temper the chocolate. If I win the lottery I'll buy one of those chocomatic appliances that keeps the melted chocolate in perfect temper-- until then, if it melts in your hands, just lick it off!

We put the candy canes in a plastic bag and banged it up with a rolling pin.

I used a package of white chocolate and three squares of the dark chocolate, melted seperately in the microwave and sprinkled with a bit of the peppermint flavoring--a little goes a long way. All you do is pour the white chocolate in first, spread it evenly over the waxed paper and dollop the dark chocolate on top. I didn't make a pretty swirly pattern, but you could. Sprinkle the candy cane bits on top and put it in the refrigerator until it firms up.

Then you break it into pieces by hand and put it into cellophane bags. We kept some for ourselves and Ules and I have been fighting over it all morning.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: