Resources

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

That Spring Fresh Scent

Yes, the hazelnut catkins are blooming and the witchhazel is blossoming. I've seen snow drops and I've smelled that delicate almost-but-not-quite hyacinth smell that always catches me off guard on a grey watery day and nearly knocks me on my ass. I can never remember what that plant is called, but I love the its potent sensual mystery. For the past month I have been pecking away at a grant for a school garden. Research plants: peck, peck, peck. Research prices: peck, peck, peck and blah di blah di blah and so on and so on. (I had a psych prof that used to talk like that.) I got my Richter's seed catalogue in the mail and I'm stoked to put in a nice big order if we get that grant. (Please, please, pretty please?) I've got the flower beds all color-coded in my mind and I'm really excited about the burgundy part of the garden--nice rich shades of amaranth and 'Purple Volcano' sage. I've also been in meetings to plan spring celebrations and that always cheers me up, especially when Mutha Nature puts up a big fat rainbow in the sky after the meeting--how great is that? Power point presentations be damned!

So my eyes are a bit crossed after all this writing and research, but I think by next week I'll be able to make some visual art to balance things out a bit. I've been working with ideas of moths and pixelated camo material, so I'm excited just to do some pure experimentation for a change. I had a dream where a little stooped man told me in a German accent that the energy in my left hand was blocked. So there you go, I need to work with the right brain a bit more, je pense.

I'm also very grateful to the team of people I've been working with to pull the grant together. I really hope we can invite you all to our new garden this summer. Fingers crossed.

No comments: