Resources

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Solstice Domesticity

A couple of weeks ago we hauled the fake tree out of the porch and assembled it. We've been decorating it intermittently ever since, with parties and Christmas concerts in between stages. We've been to a Caribbean party with rich and rummy puncha crema and goat water(!). We've had 100 mile borscht, bread and squash soup with mulled wine and Cherry Point blackberry port. We've had mac and cheese with roasted ham hock out of a crock pot. Presents have begun piling under the tree. Cookies have been filling tins and mysteriously emptying again. Yesterday I made pfefferneuse and Viennese hazelnut crescents. Tonight we're going to see the lights at VanDusen Gardens and tomorrow I will be going on another cookie making adventure at a friend's house.

Thursday is Christmas Eve and it's one of the first times we've ever been alone as a family on that occasion. What should we do? Which traditions should we keep and which should we "simplify" or lose all together? Most importand of all, what shall we eat? I make a list of ingredients: wild rice, crab, oysters, prosecco, homemade bread . . . avocados, persimmons, and spinach for salad. What about dessert? I want eggnog pie but neither Peter or Ules would eat that. Maybe a rustic apple cranberry tart? Whipped cream, port, and a local blue cheese with honeycomb. Then we've got to assemble the wifesaver for Christmas morning, but it will have to be so small. What will I cook it in--a loaf pan? Maybe we'll have French toast instead. This is how I'm passing my holidays so far, with visions of comestibles dancing in my head. Maybe I'll make myself an whole eggnog pie for Christmas!

No comments: