Resources

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Remember, Remember


The fourth of November. I knew it would be a historical day if Obama won, and as it happens he did. I'm one of the many people who shed quiet tears of joy. There's a lot of remembering going on at this time of the year-- All Soul's Day, All Saint's Day, The Gunpowder Plot, Rememberance Day, and my dad's birthday. I sent him off a package the other day with some photos, articles about UBC Farm and a silly disguise that's meant to make in look like Inspector Poirot. He was doubtful that the United States was ready to elect Obama. I'm glad he was proven wrong. It's wonderful to see black men from the US that are my father's age shaking their heads, smiling, and saying, "In my lifetime. The things I have seen in my lifetime."

There is one last living survivor of the Titanic. The last WWII vets are dying. As the bodies who hold these memories pass on we are responsible for collecting the seeds of their wisdom. I've been thinking a lot about the culture of family. As parents we are responsible for creating memorable events that create a culture of trust, peace, and respect. I wish my dad was here right now so he could talk to his grandson about what WWII meant to him. He was too young to fight in that war--thank goodness-- and my grandfather was a German immigrant. He fled to Canada to avoid being drafted into the war. It's a long story and I don't really know how to tell it, but I am going to be sure my dad writes in all down so we can remember, and in the remembering engender peace and tolerance in this world.

Obama, we love you!!!!!!

No comments: