Resources

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Material Friendships

A workshop with artist Elizabeth Sheffrin at the Roundhouse got me inspired to make some prayer flags for the bees to sell at the East Side Cultural Crawl. So I have been wrestling with silk, sewing machine, and fusible interfacing. I had some good sewing karma and some bad sewing karma. The sewing machine behaved. The fabric did not.

It's very cathartic to go into my treasure chests of scraps to reuse, repurpose, and recycle, but in the end it is very hard on one's body. In short, I managed to get two sets of flags done so far and I have come down with a cold. My body's begging for a rest, but my mind is still buzzing on that peppermint mocha latte I had to give myself some pep.

Petals, fabric, seeds, and words, these are the things that bind my friendships together. This year has been rich in art and friendship and I'm very pleased with that.

There are a lot of Minervas in my life, and they inspire me. Wise women who work to change the world, one small project at a time.

Together we love the shared process of making art and hey, when there's a nice product that comes out of it, that's the gravy on the cake. But we all know that product may just need to be transformed and recycled too some day. It's a very humbling process. For more info on the East Side Cultural Crawl, check out Lois Klassen's blog.

No comments: