Resources

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bollyween

If you go down to the Punjabi market this week, you'll see the hybrid between Diwali and Halloween. Most of the Sari shops are closed Tuesdays, but I couldn't help getting into the spirit and heading to All India Sweets for the veggie buffet and chai. Any excuse for me to have chai and gulab jamin is a good one. I love the name "Mystical Distribution Company Ltd." on the fireworks sign. I noticed that one kind of fireworks was called "Tough Mothers," illustrated by the cartoon of a frowning military guy and another was called "Fallen Heroe's" [sic] with a big Canadian flag on the package.

^Because it's good to have fresh breath when you're talking on the phone!

I love the Punjabi market and I went into one store that was all decorated with glittering streamers and bought some rhinestone bindis to add a Bollywood touch to my Halloween costume. After all, bees have more than one "third eye." In fact, they have three eyes in the middle of their forehead.

^Burfi and gulab jamin. Yum!

^This is a tradition costume with a gothic twist and a little melted head in front of yet another store selling fireworks. I love the ad hoc gesture of tying the sleeves to the axe. It makes it even more creepy. It made me a little queazy, to tell the truth. Gives a new edge to the cultural "melting pot".

No comments: