Resources

Monday, April 14, 2008

Mermaid Skin



LOL! In the original photo I do not have green skin! The mermaid dress is on its way to Winnipeg and we are packing up the rest of our things to prepare for our trip. I alternate between feeling ready and feeling panicked. I have been rehearsing in between the number of other things I have to do in a day and I'm tired of multi-tasking to the max. Once we actually arrive in The Peg things will be more focussed. I am really trying to physicalize the text now, trying to get as much choreographed as I can. I like to have a clear physical map of the piece, and I am beginning to be more emotionally connected to it. It's like feeling the nerves beginning to join up to new skin.

I was able to finally read Sue Monk Kidd's Mermaid Chair and thoroughly enjoyed it. She talks about a mermaid saint worshiped in a church in Cornwall that inspired the story. Before St. Senara's conversion, she was a Celtic princess called Asenora. Wouldn't it be fun to go see the original mermaid chair in the little church in Cornwall! Apparently the chair itself is connected with the myth of the Mermaid of Zenor who seduced a member of the church choir and carried him off to the sea. Well when I was a girl, it was a woman in the choir who seduced the United Church minister and led him off to godknowswhere. I knew she was a dangerous woman by the way she dangled her ankle bracelet under the table at the Chinese Café.

2 comments:

MB said...

Will you be doing the mermaid in Vancouver??? Perhaps sometime in June???

Beespeaker said...

Well, not that soon, but hopefully sometime in the future. We'll be documenting the piece, and I may show an excerpt of the video in June.