Resources

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Seedy Saturday 2008

Pussywillows of all sizes!

Seedy Saturday gently nudges us out of hibernation and reminds us to get get our seeds sorted, order the manure, save our yogurt containers for seedlings, clean out the back porch and convert it into a temporary green house. I went to all three talks, and learned so many things for free! I bought a bunch of bargain-priced second hand gardening books, including one dedicated to using a "glut" of zucchini. Such an ugly word, glut, for such a wonderful state of abundance. The book cost twenty-five cents.

I bought Fanny Bay Wildflower honey, an Etruscan Honeysuckle, Hops 'Baynes Sound', American Ginseng seed, and wild bergamot seed from Twining Vine Garden. I bought seeds from C-Intra Botanicals in Richmond as well: Blue Vervain, Fenugreek, Milk Thistle and Nodding Onion.

I was so happy that the Golden Valley Mushroom lady was there because I had to miss the Winter Farmer's Market, which was happening at the same time. I even convinced my mother-in-law to buy some mushrooms she'd never tasted before.

Have any of you tried wasabi greens? I had some at the Comox Farmer's Market last spring and became addicted to their spicy bite. I ran out of room to take one home, but I'll be on the look out for them at plant sales this summer.

Don't you love those pillowy soft cardoon seeds?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.